Sunday, May 16, 2010

Only Dirty Hippies Birth At Home

I ran into somebody the other day who it turned out was using the same midwife I had for my homebirth. I had met her once before and was really surprised to find that she was planning a homebirth.  I think I even said, "Oh- I wouldn't have pegged you as a homebirth mama." 

Later I realized how biased I was being.  Any type of woman can birth at home.  And it seems to me that more and more of them are.  We (or I) tend to think of people having their babies at home being women who are kind of alternative, maybe braid their hair, use natural deodorant, don't shave, go to chiropractors and all "that stuff".

When I take a step back I realize that I don't even fit all that criteria.  And more and more I am seeing women choose homebirth who I never would have expected to do so.  Women who look "normal".  Women who go to church.  Women who don't dislike modern medicine.  Women who are just your neighbors and friends but want something more than what is offered in hospitals. 

Why are these women choosing homebirth?  When I ask them I find that they just want a natural birth experience.  They feel they will be most comfortable in their own home.  They don't want the interruption of traveling and arriving and checking into the hospital.  Most of all they do not want to be another one of those one in three who have abdominal surgery to remove their baby.  They realize that the "normal" hospital birth is not really that normal and certainly is not natural. 

I love Ina May Gaskin.  I love her books where women talk about feeling "high" while they are in labor. I love hippies.  I have even been called one a time or two.  But what I love even more is that women who appear "normal" and mainstream are choosing homebirth.  I also love that ACOG and all their knife wielding cronies are running a little scared as they start to realize that a tiny minority of women are choosing to birth on their own terms.  They are scared because they realize that we as birthing women have the power to CHANGE OBSTETRICS all on our own.  All we have to do is realize that homebirth is not just for fringe hippies who live on communes, it is for anybody who recognizes the power of their own body. 

Take back your power.  Choose natural birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment