Monday, June 14, 2010

Pitocin, How I Hate Thee, Let Me Count The Ways...

Oh Pitocin, how I hate thee, let me count the ways...

-I hate how many women I meet who think they could never ever in a million years handle a natural birth because they had a Pit induction and they think that is what real labor is like....

-I hate how many babies are born C-section because they "distress" because of you...

-I hate how you have turned obstetrics in to a 9-5 job...

-I hate how easy you make it for women and doctors to "schedule" their "deliveries"...

-I hate that more and more babies are born too early because of you...

-I hate that so many of those early babies and mothers struggle with breastfeeding because of you...

-I hate to hear women say that they "have" to be induced with you because they just "don't go into labor on their own"...

-I hate how many people "need" epidurals because of you...

-I hate that you are used to start labor...

-I hate that you are used to "augment" labor that starts on its own...

-I hate the impression you give a mother every time you are used that she just can't quite labor on her own, she needs a little help from science....

-I hate hearing from nurses and doctors that you are somehow the same thing as naturally occurring oxytocin...

-I hate to imagine how the IV drip of you adversely affects the brain of a newborn that should be getting natural oxytocin from rhythmic natural contractions...

-I hate that you have changed a natural process into something that can supposedly be "controlled" and "regulated" for the convenience of all involved....

-I hate how you loom like a threat over every laboring mother in every hospital in this country....

-I hate that you increase jaundice in the newborn and all the problems associated with that....

-I hate that you are given often after birth, just because...

-I hate that you are ever used except for in the most extreme situations...


-I hate that so many babies now have their birth dates picked when mom is 20 weeks pregnant...


-I hate that you turn what can be a beautiful, orgasmic, and amazing experience, into something to be feared...

No comments:

Post a Comment