Friday, May 20, 2011

39 Week Inducion- One Mother's Experience


Sometimes people ask about the dangers of non-medically needed induction just prior to 40 weeks. Here is the experience one mother had. It illustrates and breaks down some common things that can happen with induction and she allowed me to share it here-

Hope it is helpful-

"I was induced at 39 weeks with my now two-year-old daughter. At the time, I was just sick of being pregnant and agreed. I am seven months pregnant now and will not be induced. Pros? I don't have any. Cons:


1. Two full days in the hospital- one for cervix-ripening, the next for Pitocin an labor. No eating in those 48 hours.


2. My hospital did not use gel to dilate. They used Cytotec, a drug I had never heard of but now know has been linked to deaths of babies. The manufacturer recommends that it not be used for dilation. But I had three doses against my cervix. We don't even have to talk about how invasive it is to have them keep trying to put a tiny pill against your cervix. It really hurt.


3. Pitocin contractions are more painful than regular, plus they dampen your endorphins, keeping your body from being able to combat pain. These were painful contractions for me.


4. Pitocin contractions can be intense enough to actually up the risk of the baby pooping in utero. This did happen with my daughter. My water was green when they broke it. So when she was born, they had to clean he airways for a long time and I couldn't hold her. Besides, there's real danger in the event that they breathe the meconium.


5. I had an epidural, something I could have done without, I think, without Pitocin.


6. My epidural worked for four hours, then wore off as I was in transition. But, even though I was in pain, I still had to push on my back. This led to three solid hours of pushing. If I could have pushed in another position, I could have avoided the vacuum extraction that hurt her head and made her cry whenever we moved or adjusted her.


7. Breastfeeding was awful, and I couldn't get it to work. Her head hurt and that made it hard to position her. The IV fluids can make it hard for the baby to nurse. Also, a baby born before they are ready can have an uncoordinated suck-swallow reflex, which would explain why she would latch but wouldn't suck more than one time. The tube they cleaned her airways with because of the meconium can cause sorethroats and can also explain why she was reluctant to suck. We never did get her to suck- the bottle drips, so that was easier for her.


8. If I wasn't induced, I wouldn't have been attached to much, but while I was pushing for three hours, these things were attached to or inserted in my body- an IV in my hand, the continuous fetal monitor on my belly, the epidural in my back, the blood pressure cuff, the catheter and the amnio infusion tube pumping water into the uterus to clean out meconium. There was no freedom of movement for me, which I found really hard.


All of these things were caused because I was over being pregnant. This time, I'm taking control an letting her be born when she's ready- not a moment before. I am ready for a better experience. Believe me- it's not worth it!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment